Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sound is a Vibration

I can't believe how long it has been since I updated our class blog. I was looking at pictures of our last experiment and realized I never updated an experiment we conducted in December. My sincerest apologies for the oversight!! Anyways, right before the holidays the kids got to do a station rotation of sound experiments. They were allowed to do the old string and cup experiment and play telephone with each other. They also used a string and a spoon to bang things and feel the vibration as well as listen to the sound bottles make with different amounts of water in them. Their favorite was using a tuning fork and seeing what would happen when it was dipped in water! You were definitely in a splash zone during this experiment! These hands-on experiments really helped the kids realize that sound is caused by vibrations and without vibrations, there is no sound!