Sunday, October 10, 2010

Teddy Bears, Oranges and the Five senses

Wow!! I can't believe it is already October! We have done several fun experiments in class but this was the first one I got up on my blog (I misplaced my camera). We have been working for many weeks on matter and during this experiment the kids got to have a hands-on experience with mass. Each partnership got to predict the mass of their orange, peel and pulp and then got to actually find the mass. It was fun to see some of them make the connection that once the knew the mass of the whole fruit and the peel, estimating the pulp was not as hard!! They really enjoyed getting to do an experiment that included a nice, sweet treat at the end! I also threw in some pictures of a previous experiment we did where the kids used their 5 senses to observe the properties of matter. I hope you enjoy watching your little scientist experience this hands-on learning moment!